Diese Website existiert nur weil wir Werbung mit AdSense ausliefern.
Bitte den AdBlocker daher auf dieser Website ausschalten! Danke.

Neue GAPP Applikation

Globalcaching Application (GAPP). Ein Programm für Geocache-Verwaltung unter Windows.

Moderator: SKAMS

globalcaching.eu
Geocacher
Neue GAPP Applikation

Beitrag von globalcaching.eu »

Maybe you have noticed it, but during the last months the updates for GAPP were smaller and less frequent. It is not that no work has been done thought.

The current version of GAPP is great (hope you don't mind me saying that ;-) . It has a lot of features, is very flexible and has the option to ignore (not save) the changes you made.
However, not all users have the same way of working and would like to see things differently. With the experience of the current GAPP and with the knowlegde of what other users might like, a new version is being developed at this moment.

Before I continue; the current version of GAPP will not be replaced and will continue to be developed. The new version will run next to the current version, because it targets different users and it has a complete different look and feel.

Some aspects of the new GAPP (GAPP SF as I call it, SF stands for Small Footprint)
- only 1 executable
- uses far less memory
- no save button. everything is saved and restored after next start.
- main screen layout is less scattered
- multiple databases can be loaded at once (and copy/paste between then)

There is a small preview of the concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahl0c-1x0zQ
And of course, this is open source and you can follow it on GitHub https://github.com/GlobalcachingEU/GAPP
The project of the new application is GAPPSF

The plans are to get GAPP SF at the level of GAPP and from there on adding new features to both version.

- Robert
SKAMS
Geocacher
Re: Neue GAPP Applikation

Beitrag von SKAMS »

Hallo Forum,
ich versuche das Wesentliche mal in meinen Worten zusammenzufassen.

GAPP arbeitet mit den Caches im Speicher. Das heißt die jeweilige Datenbank wird komplett in den Arbeitsspeicher geladen und dort verwendet. Nach Bearbeitung werden die Änderungen entweder bei Programmende oder bei Auswahl von "Speichern" zurück in die Datenbank gespeichert. Das geht schnell, aber benötigt je nach Datenbankgröße entsprechend Arbeitsspeicher.

Das neue Projekt GAPP SF arbeitet im Wesentlichen direkt mit der Datenbank. Änderungen werden sofort gespeichert und es werden nicht mehr Cachedaten geladen als gerade benötigt. Das ermöglicht auch zwischen verschiedenen Datenbanken schnell umzuschalten oder diese parallel zu verwenden. GAPP SF benötigt deshalb wesentlich weniger Hauptspeicher (RAM) und startet auch schneller.

Zusätzlich bietet die Benutzeroberfläche weniger Freiheitsgrade. Die Fenster sind hauptsächlich in einem festen Schema aufgebaut.

GAPP SF wird nun schrittweise an den Funktionsumfang von GAPP herangeführt. Dennoch werden beide Versionen zukünftig parallel fortgeführt.

SF steht für "Small Footprint" was soviel wie "geringer Resourcenbedarf" bedeutet.
Das SKAMS präsentiert: GAPP die frische Cacheverwaltung für Windows. Kost nix, kann viel!
Gäucacher
Geocacher

Beitrag von Gäucacher »

Das klingt interessant! Vorfallem wird das meinen lahmen Laptop freuen, der bisweilen arg zu kämpfen hat. Wann kann man denn mit einer ersten Version rechnen?
Bild
globalcaching.eu
Geocacher

Difficult to say when GAPP SF will be published. My first guess will be that GAPP SF will be ready for release in about 4 months. However, earlier alfa, beta and release candidates might show up earlier.
When I think it is ready for testing by a larger group of users, we will post here a request for users to test the application (they will get an alfa version of GAPP SF). The application won't be ready then and not all features will be available, but this way, potential problems might surface and fixed earlier. I hope the alfa version is ready in about 2 months.

If you are a developer, you can even follow and test it yourself by cloning the source from GitHub.
The new version is being developed with the latest tools and platform. Developers need Visual Studio 2013 Express (Desktop) and users need .NET 4.5.1
globalcaching.eu
Geocacher

I realize that most (maybe 99.99%) of the geocachers are not programmers and even less are capable of getting the application running from GitHub.
Therefore, I will suggest the following; If people are interested in following the development of GAPP SF and preferably provide feedback, they can get the executable.

Due to the fact that I would like to prefer feedback and easy delivery of the executable, I will only provide users the file through Skype. So, if you would like, you can get the updates through Skype. For this, you can contact me in Skype under the account: hemenrob

At the moment of writing, the application can get its data by:
- importing GPX (or zipped PQs)
- importing GAPP Data Storage (default storage for GAPP)

Updates won't be pushed, but you have to request an update if you want it (I won't stalk you ;-)

- Robert
globalcaching.eu
Geocacher

GAPP SF is still under construction and is not finished yet. But you can now keep track of the progress. You can download the current status at: http://gapp.globalcaching.eu/Download.aspx

If you try this, please be aware that it is still an unfinished product. But you can give feedback to help us and you can tell which feature of GAPP you would like to be implemented first in GAPP SF.

Main differences of GAPP SF with GAPP are:
- only 1 executable
- data is saved instantly
- can load multiple databases at once (and copy paste between them)
- 1 main screen with fixed layout but each part can have different feature
- first database is not created automatically, you have to create it with File->New
- uses far less memory (data is not loaded in memory)

Please remember that this is just the current state of an application that is still in developement. Every now and then I will place a new version of GAPP sf on the site. GAPP SF itself will report when a new version is available.

Note:
When Live API authorization fails, you probably need to change the privacy settings of IE (Internet Explorer) and add application.globalcaching.eu
Gäucacher
Geocacher

Beitrag von Gäucacher »

Hallo,

ich verfolge gespannt die Entwicklung von GAPP SF. Danke an dieser Stelle mal an Robert für seine Mühen die er in dieses Projekt steckt (Thanks Robert, to make work with this project). Außerdem auch an SKAMS für seine Hilfe hier im Forum.

Jetzt hab ich die Frage, ob es gewünscht ist hier Fehler zu melden? Vieles ist Robert ja bekannt oder es ist eben noch nicht fertig.

Eine Frage hab ich aber noch. Ich kann mich nicht mit der LiveAPI verbinden. Habe natürlich den Hinweis im letzten Post gelesen, aber ich kann beim IE keine Subdomains eintragen, sprich, die Seite die ich zulasse wird automatisch zu "globalcaching.eu" statt "application.globalcaching.eu" und es funktioniert nicht.

(Soll ich es nochmal auf Englisch schreiben?)

Gruß Tobi (Gäucacher)
Bild
globalcaching.eu
Geocacher

Hallo Tobi,

The idea is that features that are ready will be available in GAPP SF. This means that it shouldn't give errors. However, the features are not tested 100% all the times. So, yes, please report bugs.

I have had reports about nog being able to authorize for the LiveAPI. One user had this problem and reported back how he solved it.
He opened the privacy setting in IE and added application.globalcaching.eu and www.geocaching.com.
I didn't have this problem, so I don't know how and what he exactly did to get the LiveAPI authorization working in IE11. Appearently it doesn't fail for all users.

Thanks for trying/testing GAPP SF!

- Robert
Gäucacher
Geocacher

Beitrag von Gäucacher »

Hi Robert,

LiveAPI Authorization works now. I started the gapp_sf.exe as Administrator.

Where should I post a Bug Report?

Greetings Tobi
Bild
globalcaching.eu
Geocacher

Where should I post a Bug Report?
You can post it here. No problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
Now we have another possible solution to this problem.
The application itself cannot promote it to administrator, but we need to provide users information on how to proceed if LiveAPI authorization fails.
Antworten