• Willkommen im Geoclub - dem größten deutschsprachigen Geocaching-Forum. Registriere dich kostenlos, um alle Inhalte zu sehen und neue Beiträge zu erstellen.

Cache Rating (D/T) GC1FPN1 (Munich-Venice)

DerPate

Geocacher
A cache listing is no discussion platform, therefore I'll MOVE the following logs from GC1FPN1 (Munich-Venice-Listing) to this bulletin board, because here already exists another thread, related to this cache http://www.geoclub.de/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27238, and some experienced readers might have interest in adding comments.

Please log in English, because some of the authors of the initial posts, listed below, seem to be from foreign countries.

To be discussed:

June 4 by [***](755 found)
1,5/3,5?
What happend to the cache/route to decrease it from 5/5?

June 4 by DerPate (some found)

You won't believe: From time to time summer happens ;)

Happy hiking
TheGodfather :cool:

P.S.: The alternative rating caused by winter is supposed to be back in October.

July 11 by jomael (484 found)

I have been interested in doing this adventure, but I'm highly disappointed on the new rating. If I would take this challenge on I would like to be rewarded accordingly (not only by experiencing an adventure and beautiful landscapes which I of course would appreciate). But I would also like to be rewarded as a cacher, i.e. of course I want the 5/5. The summer brings with it different struggles than during winter. Yes, it would certainly be more difficult during winter but I don't think this hike would be considered easy even during the summer. Come on, don't be so harsh, leave the 5/5 rating be. Makes no sense with a 1.5/3.5 on this one.

July 11 by Tharandter (934 found)

D1,5 T3,5????????

Ganz bestimmt nicht!!!
http://mitglied.multimania.de/bumbumbike/cache bewertung.htm

D1,5 würde bedeuten dass der Cache innerhalb von 15min zu bewältigen ist! Leute was ist denn los?

July 13 by c45 (484 found)

Alternativ Rating?? First time I've heard about that Every cache is "easier" during the summer, but who changes the rating depending on the season. Besides, summer brings its' own difficulties. Hiking in +35 with mosquitos is not a lot more comfortable than hiking in -15. If you really insisit on having separate ratings, why not instead make two separate caches, only available during each season.

But, I appreciate that you changed the rating before I started (or rather finished) this venture. I would have been so pissed off discovering that the rating had changed after I logged it. I'll put this one on my "ignore"-list.

I wonder about such discussions while having fine weather to DO hiking tours and NOT to make curious discussions, years after approval and not having people with find or DNF ever argued about ratings. But even without feeding the trolls, I want to give you all a chance to post your opinion, but be aware, that I will only think about serious arguments by experienced authors (regarding mountaineering AND g-o-$-ing).

The rating 1.5/3.5 is based on the officially supported tool to support rating by ClayJar. The suggestion after having filled the form was 1/4.25. 4.25 is not possible, therefore T4 but compared to (my) other hiking/mountaineering caches half a star less is the adjusted rating: T3.5

Please keep the following quotes from the Groundspeak support pages at the back of your mind while trying to argue:
"This rating system is subjective."
"Cache ratings vary from one community to the next. A 3-star terrain in British Columbia, Canada is most likely going to be a very different experience from a 3-star terrain in Amsterdam, Holland."
"Ultimately, you alone [the owner] are the best judge for rating your cache."

Additionally the rating tool has some weaknesses, due to the definition of mutually exclusive answers, for which I'm also NOT responsible ... (compare: basic principles of sociology, regarding design of surveys)

Some additional words to 5* rating:
1. I do NOT need to have a 5* cache for my personal ego or statistics
2. I do NOT need to do 5* caches for my personal ego or statistics
3. The "winter rating" is just for fun, because the cache is not available within winter, as shown within the listing. *
4. I'm really afraid about SOME so-called T5* "climbing" teams, collecting those finds, after having heard about their real abilities by an experienced climber. I'm NOT such an experienced person in T5*, therefore I definitely won't judge about those ones, but I claim a sense of proportion for myself, M-V NOT being T5. Neither special equipment needed, nor extreme terrain difficulties to handle.
5. You WILL remember on some of my caches, even without knowing about their rating or having find or DNF. Believe me ... :???:

It's NOT all about numb3rs,
TheGodfather :eek:ps:

P.S.: Comment of another cacher, regarding this discussion: "Good to know that disputing about completely unimportant issues is NOT a pure Franconian phenomenon" (R. aka GS.). :D

* You really think about doing M-V within real winter (incl. high-alpine stages) ?
You had to stay down a year in school, due to some light inabilities in maths ?

Simple, theoretical example: Fly from stage to stage. Moving 1 cubic meter of snow might REALLY be D5/T5 (ever done an avalanche rescue training ?), 10 m³ might be D10/T10, what about D/T for up to 350 m³ per stage ? - oh, and don't forget: using a shovel is NOT supposed to be regular while searching a cache or stages, according to the guidelines :lachtot:

Anhänge

• T 3,5.jpg
    T 3,5.jpg
    50,6 KB · Aufrufe: 1.311

Biggi_H

Geomaster
Wer diesen Cache nur wegen einer bestimmten D/T - Wertung macht, der soll es besser gleich bleiben lassen. :kopfwand:
Ich denke, diese Wanderung ist ein derart beeindruckendes Erlebnis, dass jegliche Punkte sch*-egal sind. Alternativ könnte man ja in dieser Zeit mindestens 150 Tradis einsammeln, dann hätte man seine Punkte.

Nichtsdestotrotz .... eine Strecke von 500 (oder mehr ? km ) finde ich rein gefühlsmäßig ein bisserl mehr als "nur" T3,5 (die T-Bewertung ist ja nicht nur vertikal sondern auch horizontal zu sehen) Das sind schon Entfernungen, die auch ein durchschnittlich trainierter Mensch nicht "mal ebenso" zurücklegt. Der Erschöpfungszustand dürfte nach Bewältigung der Stecke sicher um einiges höher sein, als bei manchem T5 Abseiler oder Kletterbaum.

Gruß Biggi

HowC

Geomaster
hmm... I think the reduction to T3.5 isn't correct. as the clayjar thing says: I would rate it 4 to 4.5. Well... just my opinion. I found a cache on the weekend on altitude 2300 meters, stayed overnight (under the stars...) terrain was only 2... well..also a little low. but a wonderful sunset.

If I would say anything like: I will only go from Munic to Venice if it is a 5/5.... then I think I would stop caching.
Surley if I would have done this cache I would tell anybody about it, not caring if they want to know. But the rating should be secondary... or on place 37/42.

PS: I found out about this cache, when it was 5/5, and maybe because it was 5/5... and I thought... this is "REALLY cool" 5/5, not the stupid: Put a nano in a tree 5/5. without 5/5, it'S still a "REALLY cool" cache

ca$hpirat

Geocacher
First of all, I absolutely believe this cache is a real highlight. However, I agree that it is completely underrated. Who gets 4 weeks off to do this cache? Who hast full 4 weeks of finest weather?

I assume you just don't wont to increase the ratings as you dislike anyone hunting for D and T stars. Well, feel free to do so. But be honest, can you imagine any cache being harder than this one? And in my opinion time is a "special equipment"...

Additionally, I intended to ask you to stop changing the ratings. But as this would cause just some more stupid discussions (and "godfather always wins") my conclusion is to join c45. I think, I will do the journey but the cache will be on my ignore list. As you were able to setup the cache based on "the good old books" I think this will be sufficient for me as well.

Just my 5¢...
bye.

goldensurfer

Geoguru
Warum hängen sich eigentlich alle an der D/T-Bewertung auf? Wenn man die Beschreibung liest und sich mal die Waypoints auf der Karte anschaut, sollte doch klar sein, dass das kein Cache ist, den man eben mal an nem sonnigen Samstagnachmittag holt. Und die Bewertungen sind doch eigentlich nur ein Hilfsmittel an den Sucher, um besser einschätzen zu können, was einen erwartet. Das sollte hier aber klar sein.

Tharandter

Geocacher
Natürlich lockt mich der Cache nicht wegen einer möglichen hohen Bewertung an, sondern wegen des Abenteuers an sich aber ich finde die Bewertung trotzdem brutal daneben und deswegen auch meine Note dazu.

baer2006

Geoguru
I don't care about the rating of the M-V cache, and will never attempt to find it, but since this thread appeared in my "home" forum, I'll add my €0.02 as well ... :p

Just for fun, I hacked the cache's characteristics (as far as I can determine from "outside") into the Clayjar form, and came up with the D1/T4.25 suggestion mentioned by the owner. My "personal feeling" says that the D-rating is okay (judging from the cache listing, the stages appear easy or even trivial to find once you are at the location), but I agree that T3.5 just "feels" a bit low :roll: . I would probably have rounded up Clayjar's 4.25 to 4.5, because in my personal view, T4.5 means something like "no special equipment needed, but otherwise as physically challenging as it can get". I think this hits the nail on the head for M-V :D !

And BTW, Clayjar's verbal description for T5 says: "Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.". The phrase "... or is otherwise extremely difficult" would immediately qualify M-V for a "Clayjar-approved" ;) T5 rating :p .

Anyway, stop whining about the rating, and either do it ... or leave it :D

HowC

Geomaster
Once upon a time I claimed, that the T4 is the new T5.

Meaning: Some people make T5 where you have to use a ladder. Some people make T4(.5) where you have to walk two days in the mountains. No special equipment needed, maybe you can even sleep in a bed, but it's definitly more exhausting that the 5 minute T5.

Even my mother can climb up ladder and does so sometimes in the house. What a challenge... whereas some people with much T5 in their statistic would never ever walk more than 1 mile and if they climb up a mountain, I think some off them might disappear.

hmmmmm

Beleman

Geowizard
Wer hier mittels Clayjar auf D1/T4.25 kommt, der hat das System offensichtlich falsch angewendet.
Selbst wenn man "This is a serious mental or physical challenge." unberücksichtigt lässt, bleibt es immer noch D4 ("May require multiple days or trips to find").
Berücksichtigt man die Clayjar-Angaben und -Erläuterungen, kann man am Ende nur bei 5/5 landen.
Und ja, wer die Tour nur wegen des Ratings macht, der hat etwas nicht richtig verstanden. Ist aber dennoch kein Grund, das Listing falsch einzustufen. D1.5/T3.5 bedeutet immerhin, dass der kleine Ausflug nach Venedig keine 16 km dauert und man die Dose während des Anmarschs fast schon sehen kann ...

HaJoSoCha

Geocacher
Allright. Although I am not able to meet this challenge within the next two years due to a serious lack of time :roll: I want to share my opinion anyway.

Let's look at Clayjar's rating:

Difficulty (sort of a time rating)
"D1: Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching."
No way.
"D2: Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting."
Sure. And he will spend the other 3 weeks sitting in the sun.
"D3: Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon."
same as above.
"D4: Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete."
We are getting closer, aren't we? I like that "multiple days" part best.
"D5:Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache."
Some might find a four week trip across the alps is indeed a physical challenge, some think it's easy going. Depends.

Result of the HaJoSoCha jury: (D4.5 or) D5

Terrain:
I'll skip the T1 to T2 because of the children-parts, O.K.?

"T3: Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)"
sure.
"T4: Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)"
Here we go. "Might require an overnight stay." But you surely can not make with only one overnight stay. Which leads us to:
"T5:Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult."
Same as above. "Is otherwise exremely difficult"

Result of the HaJoSoCha jury: (T4.5 or) T5

I would rate it as a 5/5 for sure.
Anyway, everybody who reads this listing knows what is waiting out there. But nevertheless there is no need to rate this cache that low.
And yes, it can be another reward for cachers, if you can say "I made a 5/5". I don't reaaly need it. Just completeting Munich-Venice would be fine.
As I mentionend before, I won't make it in the next few years. But I'm quite sure the alps will not go away. I'm not so sure about Venice.

c45

Geonewbie
I want to give you all a chance to post your opinion, but be aware, that I will only think about serious arguments by experienced authors (regarding mountaineering AND g-o-$-ing).

Please spare me your self-righteous attitude. Who are you to judge the experience of the author? So what counts; the number of posts posted on this forum, number of caches found, length of the membership or are you just refering to your buddies? Should I attach my CV to this post to be taken serious? It is not really a mature approch for a constructive discussion.

It's quite obvious that you have already decided that you are right. You have so many argument saying that you, as the owner, have the right to chose the rating, which no one has ever questioned. Yet, you can not give one single argument why you have chosen this new rating, except that it is summer. ClayJar obviously disagrees with you, as the previous writers pointed out. So, my only conclusion is that you have no intetion of having a mature discussion, but only to get rid of negative feedback on your cache-site.

Furthermore, I do not understand why people in this discussion repeteadly mention cachers hunting after D/T rating. Has anyone ever mentioned that? I can not find any evidence of that it in any of the logs that DerPate has erased from his cache-site and instead posted here. But since everyone is mentioning it, my opinion is that people should be allowed to cache for any reasons they want, wether it is for the D/T rating or not. It doesn't make them worse cachers or worse human beings.

Personally, I am just disappointed that the rating of the cache has been changed. I first discovered it when it was 5/5 and therefore saw it as a 5/5. False hopes, usually tend to disappointment, it's basic psychology. You go to bar, get wasted, drag home a 5/5 an the following morning you discover it really was a 1,5/3, disappointed? If it is already stated in the cache description that it is not available in winter, the idea of changing the rating due to winter is just stupid. Even the caches that are available during winter become more difficult, but no one changes the rating because of that.

You really think about doing M-V within real winter (incl. high-alpine stages) ?
You had to stay down a year in school, due to some light inabilities in maths ?

Were you left one year behind in school due to some light inabilites to read? Who has written that they would do this in winter??

Biggi_H

Geomaster
Maybe the new D/T rating ist a special "surprise" from the owner for some people doing this cache right at the moment. If you know the owner, you know it could be possible ;-))

Or it could be he lost a bet and his insert was to change the rating

I think it was so or similarly :lachtot:

But never argue with "Mafia" :roll:

Smiling-Greetings :D .... Biggi_H

FXZ

Geocacher
Beleman schrieb:
Und ja, wer die Tour nur wegen des Ratings macht, der hat etwas nicht richtig verstanden. Ist aber dennoch kein Grund, das Listing falsch einzustufen. D1.5/T3.5 bedeutet immerhin, dass der kleine Ausflug nach Venedig keine 16 km dauert und man die Dose während des Anmarschs fast schon sehen kann ...
Die Wertung halte ich auf für untertrieben, ein Multi mit mehr als 3,2 km ist per Definition schon T3.
D: Nach Clayjar komme ich auf mindestens 4/4.5:
Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.
T: Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

Über die D-Wertung will ich nicht weiter diskutieren, für T4 würden jeweils schon einzelne Kategorien reichen (overnight stay, >16 km, elevation).
Einige Dosen, die auf dem Weg liegen, haben T4 oder 4,5.

Um jetzt auf die augenblickliche Situation vor Ort einzugehen, z. B. an der Birkkarspitze.
Auf der Nordseite des Schlauchkarsattels sind die letzten 200 Höhenmeter steiles durchgängiges Schneefeld. Hatte das Glück in den Spuren eines anderen zu laufen, aber über einen Pickel für den Notfall wäre ich froh gewesen, glaube nicht dass bei diesem Gefälle die Stockbremse ausreichend gewesen wäre. Auch wenn der Schnee weg wäre, wäre es bestimmt auch "2 Schritte vorwärts, 1 Schritt zurück", zumindest war es bei mir am unteren Einstieg des Schneefelds so, als ich den Weg gesucht habe (sind alte und neue Markierungen da). Wenn man den Schnee auf der Südseite hinzuzählt, kommt man auf ca. 1km Wegstrecke im Schnee. :roll:
Außerdem ist das Dach an der Biwakhütte oben undicht, wenn es regnet steht Wasser auf der Bank und auf dem Boden. :motz: Und das nachdem alles nass wurde, weil es am 6.7. den halben Tag geregnet hat.
Vergesst auf keinen Fall die lange Unterhose und die Skihandschuhe, die habe ich morgens am Birkkar gebraucht.

Selbst würde ich dem Cache T4,5 geben.

Blazek

Geocacher
... ist ja lustig, über solche Wertungen zu diskutieren...

Wer von euch (außer dem Owner) ist denn schon München-Venedig gelaufen???
Wer von euch kann denn wirklich wirklich beurteilen, ob die D-Wertung falsch ist???
... und wer war schon wirklich draußen auf der "Piste", um sagen zu können, dass T3,5 im Sommer zu niedrig ist???

Aus eigener Erfahrung: Vielleicht sollte man es schon als reinen "Bonus" betrachten, dass es für diesen wahrhaft tollen Wanderweg überhaupt einen Cache gibt!

Kleine Anmerkung am Rande:

08.08. um 08.00 Uhr auf dem Marienplatz in München:
Hier findet der quasi "offizielle" Start der jährlichen M-V-Wanderer statt. Auch der Begründer dieser Strecke (Ludwig Graßler) wird wohl wieder vor Ort sein....

Wer möchte, kann sich da auch mit mir persönlich über die D/T-Wertung unterhalten ;)

@ Kai oder sonstige Natvie-English-Speaker-Guru's:
Übersetzung erlaubt ;)

baer2006

Geoguru
Blazek schrieb:
... und wer war schon wirklich draußen auf der "Piste", um sagen zu können, dass T3,5 im Sommer zu niedrig ist???
Muss man "auf der Piste" gewesen sein, um zu beurteilen, dass die Clayjar-Beschreibung für T4 ...
Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)
... definitiv auf M-V zutrifft :p ? Wenn man nicht gerade ein paar passende Wurmlöcher hat, um sich von Stage zu Stage zu arbeiten, ist alleine wegen der Streckenlänge eine T-Wertung < 4 eher als "Gag" zu sehen :D !

Aber was soll's ... M-V ist mir ja wurscht, aber es hat mich bei anderen neueren Caches schon oft genervt, dass D/T-Wertungen heutzutage anscheinend meist nach (leider oft nicht vorhandenem) "Bauchgefühl" als nach irgendeinem System vergeben werden :/

Duglum

Geocacher
Nur kurz eingeworfen: Mir persönlich ist es im Grunde lieber wenn die T-Wertung sich an der maximal vorkommenden Einzel-Anforderung/Belastung bemisst. Eine T-Wertung nur aufgrund von Wegstrecke o.ä. bringt doch niemandem was, diese Info kann man auch ins Listing packen.

Wenn da T4,5 oder T5 steht denk ich, und vmtl. viele andere, doch direkt: Ah, da braucht man Kletterzeugs oder muss per Klimmzug über ne 2m hohe Wand drüber, das kann ich direkt bleiben lassen. Wenn da allerdings T3 oder T4 steht und im Listing dazu dass es 20km quer durch den Wald und rauf und runter geht isses doch wunderbar.. dann weiß ich dass es schaffbar ist und man zur Not halt nen zweiten Termin dranhängt. :)

HansaRostock

Geocacher
@duglum: sorry, aber was für´n Schrottbeitrag...

Robert sollte sich hier eher dazu melden, aber eine Stage ist sogar im Sommer mit Kletterzeugs laut DAV empfohlen. Klar geht es ohne, aber nur mit Hals und Kragen riskieren. 4,5 ist im Sommer das absolute Maximun, mehr geht nach guidelines nicht. Wer die Challenge bei Schnee im Winter meistert; der darf über die wechelnde D/T Wertung schimpfen: ) und sich über viele Bewunderer freuen. Aber nicht mal Chuck Norris hat im Winter Zeit...

wenn ich mir in München die T-Wertungen angucke, wird man oftmals enttäuscht. ein T-4 ist nix wert...manchmal muss man sich ernsthaft anstrengen, um den ersten Ast zu erwischen, aber die meisten Wertungen sind überzogen und schrott.

Hannes

PS: im Ammi-Land wars noch sclimmer... Bernd´s letzte fehlende D/T-Wertung mit irgendwas um D-2 und T4,5 - es war ein 3 m hoher Baum, die Äste bildeten eine Leiter und das Final war genau auf 3 m....nur so am Rande....die Native-Cacher sind alle dick und machen nur 1/1er : )

Blazek

Geocacher
HansaRostock schrieb:
@duglum: sorry, aber was für´n Schrottbeitrag...

Robert sollte sich hier eher dazu melden, aber eine Stage ist sogar im Sommer mit Kletterzeugs laut DAV empfohlen.

sorry, aaaber: ;)
Die angesprochene Stage ist offiziell als Klettersteig ausgeschrieben und es wird eben auch Klettersteigzeugs empfohlen.
Wir hatten es damals auch dabei und und eben an dieser Stage angelegt - allerdings kein einziges mal benötigt...
(Damit sage ich nur, dass wir es nicht benötigt haben - ich kann mir durchaus vorstellen, dass andere Wanderer die Ausrüstung wirklich eingesetzt haben! Und ich sage auch nicht, dass es an dieser Stage "blöd" ist, Klettersteigzeugs zu verwenden!)

Großes AAAAABER:
Hat schon jemand mal sich das Listing angeschaut???
Eben an dieser Klettersteigstage und auch auf der darauffolgenden Etappe sind vom Paten keine Cache-Stages angelegt - vielmehr gibt er noch eine Empfehlung, wie der Klettersteig (ohne eine Cache-Stage zu verpassen!) umgangen werden kann...

So long...

baer2006

Geoguru
HansaRostock schrieb:
wenn ich mir in München die T-Wertungen angucke, wird man oftmals enttäuscht. ein T-4 ist nix wert...manchmal muss man sich ernsthaft anstrengen, um den ersten Ast zu erwischen, aber die meisten Wertungen sind überzogen und schrott.
Sorry, aber das ist doch Quark :motz: ! Wenn man auf einen Baum klettern muss, und es ist nicht gerade ein "trivialer" Kletterbaum (stabile Äste in nicht zu großem Abstand von ganz unten bis zum Cache), dann ist mindestens T3,5 vollkommen angemessen. Und wenn dann noch der Einstieg nicht ganz einfach (aber noch ohne Seil oder Leiter machbar) ist, ist es T4.

Was mich eher nervt, ist ein als T1,5 oder T2 gelisteter Cache - am "besten" noch ein Multi - bei dem am Ende ein Final in 2,5-3m Höhe am Baum liegt! Ohne Äste oder andere Klettermöglichkeiten :kopfwand: !! Alles schon dagewesen ... mehrfach!

Deswegen kann ich das mit "überzogenen T-Wertungen" ganz und gar nicht nachvollziehen. Es kommt wesentlich öfter vor, dass ich mich - gerade bei neu veröffentlichten Caches - wundere, wo man bei T1,5 manchmal hin muss (mehr als nur wenige Meter durch mannshohes Dickicht, in den Schlamm unter einer niedrigen Brücke, etc.). Oder T3,5, wenn man auf eine 3m hohe Litfaßsäule muss :irre: ! Zum Glück werden die gröbsten Irrtümer nach den ersten Kommentaren meist schnell korrigiert.

Oben