• Willkommen im Geoclub - dem größten deutschsprachigen Geocaching-Forum. Registriere dich kostenlos, um alle Inhalte zu sehen und neue Beiträge zu erstellen.

Caches in/near Oberhausen

MacDD

Geocacher
Right subforum now, I hope.

Hello

Sorry that I write in English, but I hardly speak the german language.

As I'm in Oberhausen next wknd (5-7 of november) near the Turbinenhalle or the St. Josef Hospital, I would like to do some caches.

I play this game for about 4years now, so I'm not a completely beginner.
I'm looking for caches that I can reach with my bike (say not more then 8 kilometers from the Turbinenhalle or the St. Josef Hospital), but there are loads of caches in/near Oberhausen.

So my question is ; what caches should I definitely do? I like being outdoors, but also love some nice city-caches or even caches that go inside old buildings.

Btw I'm on my own, and have no time in the evenings.

Thnx in advance

BTW, what is meant by Stamtisch? I know it is some kind of homepub, but what has it got to do with caching?

BTW 4 ; I have my old mountainbike with.

moenk

Administrator
Teammitglied
You may want to start here: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=51.46856287&lon=6.859041088

OP
M

MacDD

Geocacher
moenk schrieb:
You may want to start here: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=51.46856287&lon=6.859041088

Sorry, but guess what i did first? :D
But when I widen my circle to 16 km in diametre, there are more then 500 caches.

So back to post 1;
So my question is ; what caches should I definitely do? I like being outdoors, but also love some nice city-caches or even caches that go inside old buildings.

Thaliomee

Geowizard
Hi,
I haven`t searched it myself, but this one must be great: [urlhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1584a4b7-8a7b-44ad-8c0e-af893e00b2c4]Spielwiese[/url]
If you don`t understand the german text, we can translate the important points (you have to take some things with you).

BTW, what is meant by Stamtisch? I know it is some kind of homepub, but what has it got to do with caching?
Well, many clubs have a Stammtisch. It´s a meeting, but not necessarily at the same pub every week (or month). There are several meetings (Stammtische) in this area: Geocachers who read in this forum or not go to a bar or restaurant an just talk about geocaching. Nothing special, but a good way to get in contact with others and learn about gps, good caches ect.

Perhaps you can visit Zollverein (maybe you can go by bus/train and take your bike with you). It´s a very famous sight here.

I forgot The Raven. I really enjoyed this one and it´s bike-friendly, too.

Atti

Geomaster
Hi,

you shouldn't miss to visit the Gasometer when you are in Oberhausen. It's offers a great view of the whole area and the exhibition about the solar system with this huge moon is just fantastic. There are some caches around the Gasometer as well.

I don't know if you know GC-vote. It's a geocaching voting system 5 stars is best 1 star absolutely bad.
It's a firefox greasemonkey script and you can see online on the geocaching site which caches are worth looking for. It's quite commonly used in Germany so for most caches at least the tendency is correct.
http://gcvote.com/index.php

Have fun
Atti

Thaliomee

Geowizard
you shouldn't miss to visit the Gasometer when you are in Oberhausen. It's offers a great view of the whole area and the exhibition about the solar system with this huge moon is just fantastic. There are some caches around the Gasometer as well.
Yes, that´s a great idea. It´s an old gas holder witch is a well known landmark now. There are several caches, but not all of them are nice. GCVote can help you here!

OP
M

MacDD

Geocacher
You are all right about gcvote, but I rather hear it from the locals.

But thnx for the gasometer, I'll look into that. :applaus:

I found something about the gasometer, is that that thing near the turbinenhalle?
Or are there more gasometers.

And yes, I already have these caches on my list near that thing.

Oke, got this greasemonkey working. Most of the caches I bookmarjked scored high, but like I said, I'd like to hear it from the locals.

Cache spielwiese lookx nice.
Someone wanna help me to translate the thing?

SharkAttack

Geoguru
MacDD schrieb:
Someone wanna help me to translate the thing?
Spielwiese = Playground is indeed one of the highlights in the Ruhrgebiet, you really should go there, but not alone. Build a small team and then have fun.

I tried to translate the last part of the listing.

SPIELWIESE schrieb:
Playground

...bla bla bla...

Now for the cache.

The parking coordinates lead you to a large parking lot.

Stage 1

Something to get warm. Nothing difficult. The first letter with the same number will also be found here.

Stage 2

Here tells you the highest point the North and the deepest the East coordinate. Also, the next letter you will find here. This Stage would be disguised again and again. Anyway, here is a small brush very helpful, but you should not waste water here!

Stage 3

Here everyone can learn again, where he actually is.

Stage 4

In addition to the coordinates for the next Stage you are looking here for another letter. Which is it? You'll make it ...

Stage 5

Everyone should have fun here, but do all find the coordinates and the next letter?

Stage 6

Here you have to climb first, then ...

Stage 7

It is a place where you can relax after all the hardships. Children can keep busy here. In addition to the coordinates you are looking for another letter. Please leave this Stage as you've found it! This cost us a lot of work and should be well protected so that all its successors have fun as well. You shouldn't afraid of small crawling animals.

Stage 8

Here you first need a lot of power. Who can't make it without a tools, looks very close for a suitable tool.

Stage 9

What to do here, should now be clear, something you've already made it during this round. Well, we can not help you there ... it's just there!

Stage 10

You are looking now for only the last letter, there are no more coordinates. However, this is rather a quiet affair, patience is required.

Now you have even collected the letter values in the correct sequence. The formula you seek within 50 yards of the last Stage. After that you can jump direct to the final.

We hope you enjoy

Three taxi Muggle

OP
M

MacDD

Geocacher
Shoot, I'm alone there.
Well not realy, but caching on my own.

And thnx for the translation.

Atti

Geomaster
Hi,
maybe you should ask in this forum for people teaming up with you.
Spielwiese has at least one stage where it is definitely an advantage to have someone with you speaking German.

You might want to check out this bookmark list: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=e605b55f-5a73-4df4-b2a3-00e622b9782a
It's a collection of recommended Caches from this forum.

You might also want to check with http://www.bessercacher.de/ There you also find recommendations and all of which are also put in a map.

Greetings
Atti

OP
M

MacDD

Geocacher
Great advice. And gues what? I just got an invitation from Team Fridolin for that wknd.
I love you german people.

And I'll have a look at the other linx too.

London Rain

Geowizard
MacDD schrieb:
But thnx for the gasometer, I'll look into that. :applaus:

I found something about the gasometer, is that that thing near the turbinenhalle?
Or are there more gasometers.

You defintely shouldn't miss the Gasometer even if you do not cache there. This is one of my very favourite places I would recommend every visitor to the Ruhr Area.

It is a giant old gas container that is no longer used, as heavy industry is no longer as important for the Ruhr Area as it used to be. Instead of tearing it away it has been preserved and is now used for exhibitions and has become a landmark. There also is a spectacular view from the roof. The current exhibition features a giant 3d moon hanging in the building. There are also some great aerial view photos to be seen.

Here are some links that should help you out:

English Wikipedia article about it with some pictures
Official English Site with further links to information about the exhibition, entry fees and opening times

Oben