• Willkommen im Geoclub - dem größten deutschsprachigen Geocaching-Forum. Registriere dich kostenlos, um alle Inhalte zu sehen und neue Beiträge zu erstellen.

GeoKrety.org - new free "Travel Bug"-System

filips

Geocacher
Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
but the "at same time"-problem still exists...

It is not a bug - it's a feature :)

It is not possible to log two events with the same time (date + hour) - it is becouse there must be correct events chronology eg to calculate distance properly.

PS: what is the exact meaning of the "stop in the journey" logtype?

When you get the GeoKret from the cache and not going to put it to another cache soon (eg you are going to South Africa with GeoKret and want to put it to the cache in 1 month) you can indicate that with this log. This feature will be necesary to indicate (in the future) in wchich cache there is a GeoKret (probably it would be like geocaching.com and travel bugs - there are icons of bugs near the caches, where bugs was hidden).

Oliver

Geowizard
filips schrieb:
Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
but the "at same time"-problem still exists...

It is not a bug - it's a feature :)

It is not possible to log two events with the same time (date + hour) - it is becouse there must be correct events chronology eg to calculate distance properly.

why not using an auto-incrementing id from the DBMS or a log-timestamp (with milliseconds) ... if the GK is realy logged within one hour, the distance cannot be that much (expect the unrealistic event of an logentry from IIS with >20.000 km/h) ...

filips

Geocacher
Oliver schrieb:
why not using an auto-incrementing id from the DBMS or a log-timestamp (with milliseconds) ... if the GK is realy logged within one hour, the distance cannot be that much (expect the unrealistic event of an logentry from IIS with >20.000 km/h) ...

Becouse not always you can write a log just after the action. With frequently visited caches there is a possibility that smb get a GeoKret, put somewhere else and log this before you enter your log. In this case there will be wrong order of places visited (we performed some test and this solution occured better than just timestamping).

This can happen also during holidays when you don't have acces to internet and can not log your moves.

To summarize: I think that "in real life" that function will not be used frequently, and there will not be a problem of "inpropriate date". But sometimes can be usefull to obtain a proper order of places visited by GeoKret. In this case you just have to precize the hour hidden.

Example: a geocacher has a personal GeoKrety which trevels with him. The Geocacher logged it in every cache he found in a one-day-cache-tour... so he MUST use the "optional" time-parameter, right?

feature-request:
will there also be a discovered-logtype?

lion

filips

Geocacher
Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
Example: a geocacher has a personal GeoKrety which trevels with him. The Geocacher logged it in every cache he found in a one-day-cache-tour... so he MUST use the "optional" time-parameter, right?

Right.
But if there are more than 24 entries during a day (=24 hours to indicate), there can be a problem. But I don't think this would happen very often ;)

Moreover I think, that this system can be used not only to track KeoKrety wchich are put into cache containers but also to - for example - track yourself - eg. during holidays you log every place you visit and your friend and family can track you on the map. Something like travel-geo-blog...

Code:
feature-request: will there also be a discovered-logtype?

Could you explain?

filips schrieb:
Moreover I think, that this system can be used not only to track KeoKrety wchich are put into cache containers but also to - for example - track yourself - eg. during holidays you log every place you visit and your friend and family can track you on the map. Something like travel-geo-blog...

Yeah! Great idea!

filips schrieb:
Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
feature-request: will there also be a discovered-logtype?

Could you explain?

At GC.com there is the possibility to discover a TB or Coin you have seen at a cache or while meeting another cacher, but you don't take it with you. The sense of that feature is to get the individual icon of this Coin on your trackable list.

Aquaria,
the other part of Lion & Aquaria ;-)

ff

Geonewbie
Nice project

I think an email contact will be helpfull

Another part: It is better to log a found optional without register an account. Many users did not love it to create senseless accounts only for logging one in a year. The tracking ID make it sure that the logging is OK. If I found a TravelBug and take it with me and then I see I must register, I did not do it. I keep the Bug with me and place it anywhere else in an other Cache without notice.

sp2ong

Geocacher
ff schrieb:
Another part: It is better to log a found optional without register an account. Many users did not love it to create senseless accounts only for logging one in a year. The tracking ID make it sure that the logging is OK. If I found a TravelBug and take it with me and then I see I must register, I did not do it. I keep the Bug with me and place it anywhere else in an other Cache without notice.

Yes, it is good idea.

filips

Geocacher
Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
filips schrieb:
Something like travel-geo-blog...

Yeah! Great idea!

Actually we did something similar two years ago (without google maps). We were sending email via sms with our position, coded weather and comment, and our family and friend could track our moves (you can take a look: http://foto.achjoj.info/200608hiszpania/blog/index.htm ). I plan such thing (logging via email/sms), but it is a future....

Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
At GC.com there is the possibility to discover a TB or Coin you have seen at a cache or while meeting another cacher, but you don't take it with you. The sense of that feature is to get the individual icon of this Coin on your trackable list.

Ok, we have a function of "comment" - isn't that what you would like? Or just another type of log like "I saw a GeoKret but didn't take it" (with the icon of an eye :) ?

Done - the link is in the footnote (I think it is a standard place for that)

It is better to log a found optional without register an account.

YES! That was my idea in the begining, but... I forgot about it :) I will chcange that. Thanks :)

filips schrieb:
Lion & Aquaria schrieb:

... Or just another type of log like "I saw a GeoKret but didn't take it" (with the icon of an eye :) ?...
something like that would be cool :wink:

maybe to solve the log-time problem you should made a time-field as in the OC-Cache-Options for "how long does it take". So you can input a concrete time (hh:mm). That would make the timestamp "unique"...

lion

ff

Geonewbie
filips schrieb:

Done - the link is in the footnote (I think it is a standard place for that)

It is better to log a found optional without register an account.

YES! That was my idea in the begining, but... I forgot about it :) I will chcange that. Thanks :)

Wow. Hard at work?!

BTW: Nice Google Maps. I thought by myself about making a project like this but luckily I search the web and found your site

alternative solution for the "at same time" problem:
the user did not only get the note that there is a log at the same time. the system shows him the log(s) and the user told the system after which log the system should add the new log (like log at hour 12.1, hour 12.2 etc.)

lion

filips

Geocacher
A have a question to all:
What more should be fixed/what other functions should be avaliable before the real start of service?

the "2 log at the same time"-problem should be solved in a usefull way (maybe time in hh:mm oder indexed 12h.1 12h.2). after that we should be ready :)

lion

ff

Geonewbie
My 2 cents:

If you click the link to a cache in the Google Map InfoWindow it should be open in a new Window (target="_blank").

The images (especially the cache status info icons) should get a HTML title and an alt Text.

What's about picture uploading with a new log?

Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
filips schrieb:
Lion & Aquaria schrieb:
... Or just another type of log like "I saw a GeoKret but didn't take it" (with the icon of an eye :) ?...
something like that would be cool :wink:
will you insert this logtype before the version is getting gold-status? :)

the integration into the OC-page should be sure as sunrise, so...

maybe it would be better to insert also a "grab it"-logtype? because if a Krety (btw. Kret or Krety? what's the correct spelling for one mole?) is taken from a geocacher and it takes some days until he/she will drop it (Log new location), it will not be logged in in the cache during this period. (and maybe some geocachers are disappointed)

"grabbed it"
"dropped it" (Log new location)
"sighted it"
"make a note" (Comment)
"Log a stop" (Log a stop in a trip)

with this 5 log-types we should be future-proof for the next coming time ;)

----

FEATURE REQUEST:
it should be possible for a registered user to delete(edit as well?) his/her entries (minimizing spelling or dating errors)

the Owner should be able to delete (edit as well?) entries in his/her Krety-listings as well

btw: YOU DID GREAT JOB, so far! :)

lion

PS: maybe it should be possible to log a "note" without the Krety-ID ;)

BUG REPORT:
a added a NC waypoint into the OC-waypoint field but the entry was saved (with 0km distance) http://geokrety.org/konkret.php?id=35
bug or feature? ;-)

lion

Oben